Where has the last week gone???? Time has flown by since we registered at the hospital last Monday morning. We got to the hospital at around 5:15 am (yes, we were late but only a few minutes...) and after they got me hooked up with a designer hospital gown and an IV and gave me the third degree for about 15 minutes, the nurse started the pitocin. That was at approximately 6:00 am. By 7:00, Kyle and I were EXTREMELY bored. The day did not look good. From that point I progressed rather slowly. Lucas didn't want to come down, which we later found out was because he was facing the ceiling instead of the floor. I'll get to that in a minute. Anyway, at around noon, the doctor came by to check me and I had made some progress and Lucas had dropped more so he broke my water. Before that point I had experienced minor contractions, but nothing unbearable. As the nurse said, I was still smiling. Once they broke my water, progress came MUCH faster. Seriously, not more than 10 minutes after that I was in some pretty serious pain so I requested my epidural at about 12:15. At around 1:30, I knew I had to be ready to go because I was feeling a serious urge to push. The nurse checked and sure enough I was ready to go. So she called the doctor, came back and got the room ready, and then we did some "pre-pushing" while we were waiting on the doctor to get there. Once he got there at around 2 pm, he immediately sat down and I started pushing. At this point he realized that the baby was in an awkward position, facing upward instead of down, but he assured me that it would not be a problem. I pushed through about 4 contractions and the baby was here. They checked Lucas out and noticed he had some bruising on his face because of the way he came down the birth canal but other than that he was perfect.
We were moved to our recovery room soon after that and Lucas was able to stay with us the whole time, which was a huge difference from when we had Peyton. The whole experience was different, not only because it was #2 but also because the anxiety and fear wasn't there as to whether or not he was ok. We came home on Wednesday morning.
I'm sure that everyone is wondering how Peyton is adjusting to all of this change. She is doing so well. She loves to kiss Lucas on his head but still hasn't figured out what "be gentle" means. We're working on it. She checks on him when he cries and comes running down the hall when I'm changing his diaper and she hears him. But most of the time she doesn't pay him any attention. Thanks to my mom for taking care of Peyton while we were in the hospital. She took care of getting her to daycare and brought her to the hospital to visit on Monday night.
We had our 1 week check-up today and he is already back up to his birth weight. Dr. K said that he's a little jaundice but she's not worried. She said to call if it hasn't cleared up in a week.
Paris Sewers
11 years ago


1 comment:
We are just so happy for you! So glad that this experience was so different and that Lucas is here and he's healthy. LOVE his name! Peyton is going to be such a good big sister! Some unsolicited advice for the jaundice........all 3 of mine had it. Strip him down and place him by a window that gets a lot of sun. It works great unless they don't like being naked. We can't wait to see him!
Love, Geri Lynn
Post a Comment